I’ve been quite involved in th’ “Aye” side’s awareness campaign, an’ I even created an animation that shows clearly, in 90 seconds, just why our current system needs t’ change! You can view it by clickin’ th’ link below.
Here’s an article by Eoin Finn in Common Ground titled “Proportional Representation: An Historic Opportunity t’ Improve Democracy in BC”. Eoin has actually experienced Proportional Representation. The ornery cuss is Irish an’ th’ Irish have had a PR votin’ system e’er since Irelan’ became a Republic almost 100 years ago! Like Eoin, I feel strongly that proportional representation (PR or Pro Rep) is an important upgrade we must make t’ our current “first past th’ post” (FPTP) votin’ system so we can have a truly representative democracy in BC.
Please consider votin’ YES fer PR in th’ upcomin’ referendum.
Some resources fer yeMy matey Jackie DeRoo shared th’ followin’ comprehensive list o’ resources about Pro Rep an’ I felt I couldn’t do better than t’ just pass it along!
Notice from Elections BC
“British Columbia is havin’ a referendum on what votin’ system we should use fer provincial elections. The referendum is bein’ held by mail from Oct 22 – Nov 30, 2018. Registered voters will get a votin’ package in th’ mail from Elections BC.”
To be eligible t’ vote an’ t’ receive yer ballot, ye must be registered t’ vote at yer current address. Visit th’ Elections BC website.
Information about PR
- BLOG – Electoral Reform in BC : Policy Note – An excellent blog series from Seth Klein o’ Canadian Centre fer Policy Alternatives.
- BLOG ENTRY, Oct 16th, 2018 – Pro rep will indeed mean more minority governments — brin’ it on! : Policy Note. The latest entry in Seth Kein’s blog series – be sure t’ check out his other blog posts at th’ link above
- WEBSITE – Fast Facts – Pro Rep Fact Checker – Proportional Representation Fact Checker investigates claims made about proportional representation by opponents, proponents, an’ media columnists.
- WEBSITE – PR4BC | Fair Vote Canada – Fair Vote Canada’s special website fer th’ BC Referendum
- WEBSITE – Vote PR BC – Why Proportional Representation? – th’ official YES side in this referendum
- CBC NEWS, Jun 25, 2018.Why New Zealan”s former prime minister believes proportional representation works better.
- VIDEO, April 12, 2016 – Andrew Coyne explains why Canada’s electoral system is broken – YouTube Andrew Coyne, Columnist, Postmedia News an’ CBC commentator. In this 5 min video Andrew talks about FPTP in th’ federal context. His comments be equally valid fer FPTP in BC.
- VIDEO – Christie Clark supports Proportional Representation (PR) – In this 2009 video clip o’ radio show host Christie Clarke, she makes th’ argument fer STV (one type o’ PR votin’ system). When she says STV in this video, substitute “PR” because that comely wench argument supports PR in general. Any o’ th’ 3 PR votin’ systems included in th’ upcomin’ referendum will give us a better votin’ system than we have now under FPTP.
It’s quite interestin’ that Christie suddenly changed that comely wench mind about PR when she became th’ Premier o’ BC in 2013. In that FPTP election she got 58% o’ th’ seats, an’ 100% o’ th’ power with only 44% o’ th’ popular vote. Funny how politicians love FPTP when it turns out they only need a minority o’ th’ vote t’ get a “majority” government an’ all th’ power! (Harper in 2011, Clark in 2013, Trudeau in 2015, Ford in Ontario in July, Legault in Quebec 3 weeks ago)
Want t’ get involved?I’ve been doin’ some work with Leadnow an’ their “PR fer BC” campaign. Referendum ballots be bein’ mailed out startin’ Oct 22 an’ Leadnow is holdin’ an in-person Volunteer Orientation on Wed, Oct 24th, 7 PM, at Creekside Community Centre in Olympic Village. Leadnow staff will explain th’ plan fer how we’re goin’ t’ help win Pro Rep fer BC, an’ how ye can get involved. We can’t do it without ye! Here is th’ link fer more information an’ t’ RSVP fer th’ orientation.
Pro Rep Volunteer Orientation – Vancouver | Leadnow.ca